Join me in my studio on beautiful Whidbey Island, at the mouth of the Puget Sound in Washington State. During our days together we will explore free-style acrylic painting. While you are here, we'll gather round my dining room table - drink wine and eat healthful, yummy food that I have lovingly prepared from my mother's recipes. We'll take walks on the beach where you can take snapshots and gather tokens of driftwood, agates and rusty bits.
We'll work on letting go of preconceptions and pushing past your artistic road blocks. My 4-day retreats include guiding you through an exploration of color, texture and form, and experimentation with free-form expression to create colorful acrylic paintings with meaning and balance.
I've added visual exercises with a focus on mindfulness and tuning in to your intuition. You'll learn to paint without thinking by letting go of creative blocks, like perfectionism, comparison and external approval. We will experiment and allow the beauty of the colors and textures drive your design.
It's All In the Background
Play with color and learn how to create depth and movement with acrylic paints. It all begins with rich, intriguing backgrounds:
On the first morning of the retreat we will begin with a hands-on approach to the key elements of color theory and explore what makes color palettes work and why some are boring or flat. Most importantly we will learn methods of how to fix the color palettes that don’t work. We will create our own elementary color wheels while learning how to mix paints to get saturated colors as well as complex neutrals. In addition, we will play with the color wheels and templates in Eye For Color to enhance our color palettes and explore exciting new combinations.
In the afternoon we will start creating the colorful backgrounds that will become the foundation for the paintings over the next few days. You may choose to also add collage elements to further enhance the texture in your backgrounds.
p.s. you may even love the results of some of your backgrounds so much that all that's needed is your signature!
Using one (or more) of the colorful backgrounds created on the first day, we will explore negative space to pull out abstract poppies, then add layers of fluid acrylics to enhance the shapes. This technique can be used to create any shape - feel free to experiment. Finally we will add touches of color to give the palette depth and interest!
Dance With Color
Learn how to create shapes, whose essence glows with color. We will paint intuitively by focusing on the way the colors dance and play against each other on the canvas. Then draw out the essence of color and beauty using negative and positive space and multiple layers of fluid acrylics.
4-day painting retreat includes:
- Working in a sun-filled studio surrounded by stunning natural light
- Each day filled with facilitated instruction including lots of one-on-one time with Beverly
- Optional Open Studio time in the mornings before class
- Full set of written instructions
- Tools and accent color provided
- Whidbey Island roasted organic and fair trade coffee plus loose leaf tea bar and infused well water served all day
- Delectable baked goods in the morning
- Grab a to-go coffee / tea mug and walk the beach or hike up the hill before class
- Health conscious gourmet lunches each day
- Wine and hors d'oeuvres every evening
- Full course gourmet dinner Saturday night
- Menu designed to suit your dietary restrictions
Bring your camera to capture the changing moods of the sound, the Cascade mountains and numerous wetland birds
Optional Beach walks with mindfulness activities to help you relax and recharge
- Discounts on products and future workshops
- Optional extra day includes a Tour of Whidbey (nominal fee)
Workshop Details for 4-day Retreat
All retreats take place in Beverly's studio on beautiful Whidbey Island, Washington. Direct shuttle service from SeaTac airport takes 2 hours and is very reasonably priced. Detailed directions to the studio will be emailed upon registration.
- Thursday: 10:00am - 5:30pm (lunch and wine included)
- Friday: 10:00am - 5:30pm (lunch and wine included)
- Saturday: 10:00am - 7:30pm (lunch, wine, dinner included)
- Sunday: 10:00am - 5:30pm (lunch and wine included)
- Optional Monday: 11:00am - 6:00pm Tour of Whidbey for a minimal fee of $25
- Beach walks with mindfulness activities to help you relax and recharge
- Upper body massage session available for an additional rate
- Optional Open Studio time available in the mornings before class
Tools and Materials:
All tools including table top easels provided. Participants responsible for bringing paints and canvases or can choose to purchase from Beverly during retreat.
Thanks to amazing recipes handed down from her mother, Beverly creates gourmet meals designed to be health conscious and delicious. She honors all dietary restrictions communicated to her in advance. Her meals are a true feast for the taste buds as well as the eye - she delights in welcoming you to her home and dining table.
Painting Retreats are limited to 10 students. This insures lots of space to create as well as one-on-one attention from Beverly. Participants are invited to a private Facebook group to share, connect and be inspired by current, past and future students.
Everything from top-of-the-line B&B's to AirBNB to inexpensive shared homes for rent to camping is within a short drive from Beverly's studio. Links will be sent upon registration. Room and ride sharing will be facilitated through the private Facebook group.
There are no refunds for this workshop unless we are able to fill your spot. A $100 cancellation fee will apply if we are able to fill your spot.
Once you are enrolled in the workshop, you will receive several emails with details regarding the schedule, supplies, accommodations, and activities. Please feel free to email any questions to team Beverly: Hello@BeverlyAshGilbert.com. We are here to help!