Join me in my studio on beautiful Whidbey Island, at the mouth of the Puget Sound in Washington State. We will dive into color on our first evening together while we create samples that will prepare you to design a series of purses over the next 3 days. You will come away with 2-3 reversible purses with integral straps, in sizes that work for you. While you are here, we will gather round my dining room table - drink wine and eat healthful, yummy food that I have lovingly prepared from my mother's recipes. You will have a chance to walk the beach and gather pieces of driftwood, agates, rusty bits. This retreat is intentionally small so that there is lots of space for you to create as well as one-on-one instruction time with me. I look forward to welcoming you into my home and studio.
Open up a world of possibilities in design and application using felt resists to create seamless three-dimensional shapes in Nuno Felt
Evening day 1:
Dive Into Color Intensive
We will dive into color with a hands-on approach to basic color theory by pulling together yummy color palettes with wool roving, silk and decorative threads. We will enhance our color palettes and explore exciting new combinations by using the color wheels and templates in EYE FOR COLOR.
Day 2: Color Palettes and Dread-neck necklace
We will continue our work with color by pulling together multiple color palettes that can be used in future projects. In the afternoon we will choose a few of our favorite color combinations from the earlier exercise and employ the basics of wet nuno-felting to create a dreadlock necklace.
Day 3-4: Afternoon Purse
In the next 2 days, you will design 2 reversible Nuno-Felt purses sized to fit your ipad, iphone, wallet (or even computer) and other essentials for an afternoon out. These colorful purses feature integral dreadlock straps, top flap (if desired) and luscious combo of wool and silk. You will learn how to:
- Learn how to create dynamic color palettes that will be used in your purses
- Create integral dreadlock straps with no sewing
- Use a resist to create reversible, no-seam purses
31/2 day Nuno Felt retreat includes:
- Large Color Palette set from Outback Fiber (value $75)
- Eye For Color Family: Color wheel system (value $54)
- Working in a sun-filled studio surrounded by stunning natural light
- Each day filled with facilitated instruction including lots of one-on-one time with Beverly
- Evening Dive Into Color workshop on Thursday evening
- Light dinner Thursday evening
- Optional Open Studio time in the mornings before class
- Full set of written instructions
- Tools and accent color provided
- Whidbey Island roasted organic and fair trade coffee plus loose leaf tea bar and infused well water served all day
- Delectable baked goods in the morning
- Grab a to-go coffee / tea mug and walk the beach or hike up the hill before class
- Health conscious gourmet lunches each day
- Wine and hors d'oeuvres every evening
- Full course gourmet dinner Saturday night
- Menu designed to suit your dietary restrictions
Bring your camera to capture the changing moods of the sound, the Cascade mountains and numerous wetland birds
Optional Beach walks with mindfulness activities to help you relax and recharge
- Discounts on products and future workshops
- Optional extra day includes a Tour of Whidbey (nominal fee)
Workshop Details for 3 1/2-day Retreat
All retreats take place in Beverly's studio on beautiful Whidbey Island, Washington. Direct shuttle service from SeaTac airport takes 2 hours and is very reasonably priced. Detailed directions to the studio will be emailed upon registration.
- Thursday: 4:30pm - 7:30pm (wine and light dinner included)
- Friday: 10:00am - 5:30pm (lunch and wine included)
- Saturday: 10:00am - 7:30pm (lunch, wine, dinner included)
- Sunday: 10:00am - 5:30pm (lunch and wine included)
- Optional Monday: 11:00am - 6:00pm Tour of Whidbey for a minimal fee of $25
- Beach walks with mindfulness activities to help you relax and recharge
- Upper body massage session available for an additional rate
- Optional Open Studio time available in the mornings before class
Tools and Materials:
All tools provided. Large Color Palette prepared by Outback Fiber and Eye For Color Family color wheel system also provided. Participants responsible for bringing other materials or can choose to purchase from Beverly during retreat.
Thanks to amazing recipes handed down from her mother, Beverly creates gourmet meals designed to be health conscious and delicious. She honors all dietary restrictions communicated to her in advance. Her meals are a true feast for the taste buds as well as the eye - she delights in welcoming you to her home and dining table.
Garden Jacket Retreat limited to 6 students. This insures lots of space to create as well as one-on-one attention from Beverly. Participants are invited to a private Facebook group to share, connect and be inspired by current, past and future students.
Everything from top-of-the-line B&B's to AirBNB to inexpensive shared homes for rent to camping is within a short drive from Beverly's studio. Links will be sent upon registration. Room and ride sharing will be facilitated through the private Facebook group.
There are no refunds for this workshop unless we are able to fill your spot. A $100 cancellation fee will apply if we are able to fill your spot.
Once you are enrolled in the workshop, you will receive several emails with details regarding the schedule, supplies, accommodations, and activities. Please feel free to email any questions to team Beverly: Hello@BeverlyAshGilbert.com. We are here to help!