Join me in my studio on beautiful Whidbey Island, at the mouth of the Puget Sound in Washington State. We will dive into color on our first day together and create color palettes and a series of coasters to highlight our favorite palettes. During the next 2 days we will create a scarf and shawl bursting with color and decorative elements. While you are here, we will gather round my dining room table - drink wine and eat healthful, yummy food that I have lovingly prepared from my mother's recipes. You will have a chance to walk the beach and gather pieces of driftwood, agates, rusty bits. This retreat is intentionally small so that there is lots of space for you to create as well as one-on-one instruction time with me. I look forward to welcoming you into my home and studio.
Dive Into Color Intensive and Eye-on-You Coasters
On day one we will play with color and learn the basics of wet nuno felting. In the morning, we will begin with a hands-on approach to basic color theory by pulling together yummy color palettes with wool roving, silk and decorative threads. We will enhance our color palettes and explore exciting new combinations by using the color wheels and templates in EYE FOR COLOR.
After lunch we will explore various Decorative Elements and choose a few of our favorite color combinations from the earlier exercise and employ the basics of wet nuno felting to create a number of colorful 'Eyes' that can be used for coasters. Or you may choose to connect them together into a place mat, wall hanging or...
These exercises will become the foundation for the Nuno Felt pieces on Days 2 and 3.
We will create stunning fiber art by collaging bits of silk and wool into a new piece of fabric. This Nuno Felted project is accomplished with no sewing, knitting or stitching of any kind.
Decorative Elements Shawl
It all comes together in Day 3 with a Nuno Felt piece bursting with color and textural interest that can be used as a shawl, a wall hanging or a table runner.
3-day Nuno Felt retreat includes:
- Working in a sun-filled studio surrounded by stunning natural light
- Each day filled with facilitated instruction including lots of one-on-one time with Beverly
- Optional Open Studio time in the mornings before class
- Full set of written instructions
- Color intensive Friday morning
- Tools and accent color provided
- Whidbey Island roasted organic and fair trade coffee plus loose leaf tea bar and infused well water served all day
- Delectable baked goods in the morning
- Grab a to-go coffee / tea mug and walk the beach or hike up the hill before class
- Health conscious gourmet lunches each day
- Wine and hors d'oeuvres every evening
- Full course gourmet dinner Saturday night
- Menu designed to suit your dietary restrictions
Bring your camera to capture the changing moods of the sound, the Cascade mountains and numerous wetland birds
Optional Beach walks with mindfulness activities to help you relax and recharge
- Discounts on products and future workshops
- Optional extra day includes a Tour of Whidbey (nominal fee)
Workshop Details for 3-day Retreat
All retreats take place in Beverly's studio on beautiful Whidbey Island, Washington. Direct shuttle service from SeaTac airport takes 2 hours and is very reasonably priced. Detailed directions to the studio will be emailed upon registration.
- Friday: 10:00am - 5:30pm (lunch and wine included)
- Saturday: 10:00am - 7:30pm (lunch, wine, dinner included)
- Sunday: 10:00am - 5:30pm (lunch and wine included)
- Optional Monday: 11:00am - 6:00pm Tour of Whidbey for a minimal fee of $25
- Beach walks with mindfulness activities to help you relax and recharge
- Upper body massage session available for an additional rate
- Optional Open Studio time available in the mornings before class
Tools and Materials:
All tools provided. Participants responsible for bringing materials or can choose to purchase from Beverly during retreat.
Thanks to amazing recipes handed down from her mother, Beverly creates gourmet meals designed to be health conscious and delicious. She honors all dietary restrictions communicated to her in advance. Her meals are a true feast for the taste buds as well as the eye - she delights in welcoming you to her home and dining table.
Nuno Felt Retreats are limited to 6 students. This insures lots of space to create as well as one-on-one attention from Beverly. Participants are invited to a private Facebook group to share, connect and be inspired by current, past and future students.
Everything from top-of-the-line B&B's to AirBNB to inexpensive shared homes for rent to camping is within a short drive from Beverly's studio. Links will be sent upon registration. Room and ride sharing will be facilitated through the private Facebook group.
There are no refunds for this workshop unless we are able to fill your spot. A $100 cancellation fee will apply if we are able to fill your spot.
Once you are enrolled in the workshop, you will receive several emails with details regarding the schedule, supplies, accommodations, and activities. Please feel free to email any questions to team Beverly: Hello@BeverlyAshGilbert.com. We are here to help!